Abortion is the intentional termination of a pregnancy for personal or medical reasons. There are two types of abortion, and we will go over them in detail. Most abortions take place within the first trimester. If the pregnancy reaches a gestational age of more than 12 weeks, some hospitals might not offer abortive procedures. Making a decision requires knowledge of medical procedures. Also, it helps to know the symptoms and side effects of undergoing an abortion.
Types of abortion
You may have the choice between a surgical abortion or a medication abortion, depending on the availability of the procedures in the hospital. Learn more about the differences between the two types of abortion here.
In this case, an abortion pill is used; your doctor may advise you to swallow it or insert it into your vagina. In the majority of cases, pill abortions are effective and cause no health problems.
- The pill induces abortion by emptying the uterus. It begins to cramp and it may take a few hours to a couple of days to complete the process.
- You may have bleeding, cramping and pain similar to miscarriage, but the intensity may depend on the gestation period.
- Your bleeding can vary from light to heavy.
- In certain cases, you may need to take another pill or undergo a surgical procedure, if the pills fail to complete the process.
- You may experience tenderness in your breasts.
- Medication may cause nausea and vomiting in some women.
- It is advisable to use sanitary napkins instead of tampons to prevent the development of any infection until the bleeding stops. Abortion Symptoms
Within the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, the hospital usually performs abortions. A few hours prior to the procedure, you take the medication, and then you receive anesthesia to numb the pain.
A surgical tool will be inserted into your uterus.You will be admitted to the hospital during the procedure.
This may be done at a later stage of pregnancy. Surgical abortion is effective in most cases and causes no harm. Types of Abortion
- In this procedure, bleeding is comparatively less, and you may not have it until the onset of your next period.
- Sedation medication may have some side effects after the procedure.
- Discomfort is also less, compared to the abortion pill procedure.